The mission of the Student Internship Program (SIP) is to provide an enriched clinical training experience focusing on building clinical and cultural competency for students preparing for a career in mental health. The County of Santa Clara Behavioral Health Services Department prides itself in its ongoing commitment to training clinicians with a foundation based on the concepts of the Mental Health Services Act.
County of Santa Clara Behavioral Health Services Department's award winning Student Internship Program is dedicated to training students in both clinical and community work in a public mental health setting. The fundamental concepts that direct all services in the Department are founded in the six Mental Health Service Act (MHSA) General Standards*:
- Community Collaboration
- Cultural Competence
- Client Driven
- Family Driven
- Wellness, Recovery, and Resilience Focused
- Integrated Service Experience
These standards are at the foundation of the Student Internship/Trainee Program.
Placement opportunities are available at several county behavioral health sites which provide diversified options for students of varying interests and competencies. Students have an opportunity to train as a clinician, be part of a clinical treatment team, and/or participate in program development. All placements support the fundamental concepts of the MHSA, enhances professional, clinical and collaboration skills. Graduate level internships are available for students enrolled in MSW or MFT programs. Undergraduate level internships are limited. Interns are provided with weekly individual and group supervision, as well as an in depth Seminar Training Program.
* (WIC § 5813.5(d); 9 CCR § 3320). Click here to learn more about the MHSA General Standards.
Chiaki Nomoto, LMFT
Student Intern Program Coordinator
Learning Partnership Division
1075 East Santa Clara Street, 2nd Floor
San Jose, CA 95116
Phone: 1 (408) 792-3944
E-mail: [email protected]
Student Internship Quick Links
- BHSD Student Intern Policies and Procedure
- CA Board of Behavioral
- How to Flourish In Social Work Infographic
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) CA Chapter
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT)
- Council on Social Work Education
- API Social Work Council, California Chapter of NASW