Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services Department has a strong clients' rights and advocacy program. This is to assure that mentally ill persons who have been certified for 14 days of intensive treatment are provided information about the commitment process, about their rights to an administrative hearing or a judicial review by writ of habeas corpus and their right to counsel in such judicial review, including the right to court-appointed counsel.
As a client of Santa Clara County's Behavioral Health Services Department, you have the right to:
- Be treated with respect by all behavioral health staff.
- Receive services in a safe environment.
- Receive culturally competent services.
- Give informed consent regarding treatment, medication and side effects.
- Understand and participate in the behavioral health treatment process.
- Receive confidential care and record-keeping.
- Request to change psychiatrist, service provider, clinician and/or get a second opinion.
- Receive a timely response to problems or concerns about treatment.
- Have access to medical records.
- Register a complaint and/or file a grievance regarding services.
- File a request for a State Fair Hearing when a Notice of Action is received stating that services are being denied, changed or terminated.
- Authorize a person to act on your behalf during the Complaint, Formal Grievance or State Fair Hearing process.
- Submit a complaint and/or file a grievance without experiencing any negative repercussions.
The Department contracts with Health Program, a program of the Law Foundation of Silicon Valley, to perform these functions. The County Patients' Rights Advocate also monitor Santa Clara County inpatient facilities for compliance with LPS (Lanterman–Petris–Short) commitment process, handbook from the California Department of Health Care Services (DCHS) Office of Patients' Rights (OPR) Web page.
Law Foundation of Silicon Valley
4 North Second Street, Suite 1300
San Jose, CA 95113
INTAKE LINE: 1 (408) 280-2420
Fax: (408) 886-3850
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 4:00, except for major holidays
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: Law Foundation of Silicon Valley
LFSV Patients' Rights Information:
LFSV Health / Mental Health Program:
LFSV Economic Rights Information:
Law Foundation of Silicon Valley Housing Program Information:
Disability Rights of California Fact Sheets:
California DHCS Patients' Rights Information:
County of Santa Clara Health System Notice of Privacy Practices :